Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Shazam!, AKA Captain Marvel (DC Universe Classics)



When I sat down to write this post, I realized I had forgotten that I own the Infinite Heroes version of this character as well. How about that? Don't worry, though; the Infinite Heroes figure has nothing on this toy.

Due to Marvel Comics owning the trademark to the name "Captain Marvel", the original Cap here must always be referred to as "Shazam!" on merchandise. But make no mistake: this is the one true Captain Marvel, a comic book character that at the height of his popularity in the 1940s sold over a million issues of his flagship title Captain Marvel Adventures a month. Hell, he even outsold Superman.

What mainly attrached me to this figure was the amount of unique pieces created for it. Aside from the requisite new head sculpt, Captain Marvel also ultilizes a new torso, new shoulders, new forearms, and his snazzy over-the-shoulder cape to properly replicate his uniform. The biceps and everything below the waist is reused from previous DC Universe Classics body sculpts. The reuse of old parts does hurt slightly, as the biceps don't match the rest of the upper body. Scanning from the top of the shoulders to the end of the wrists, the figure goes from thick overcoat to skintight unitard to thick overcat again. It creates an inconsistant look, and I just reminds me how of how I really hate how cheap Mattel can be. The solid cape does limit shoulder articulation a bit, but it's well-sculpted and very dynamic. I'm sure a cloth cape would've worked just as well, though.

Nevertheless, those are minor problems. The unique pieces make this an excellent figure. It's definitely the best Captain Marvel figure ever made.

No comments:

Post a Comment