Friday, June 13, 2014

Phoenix capsule toys

Phoenix is the masterwork of cartoonist Osamu Tezuka, the creator of Astroboy among other manga. It's an anthology series, with each volume following different characters as they either hunt (for immortality) or are influenced by the legendary Phoenix. stories range from mideival Japan, the far future, to an f-ed up story about a man who goes insane because he's forced to be immortal and live through a nuclear apocalypse and the billions of years until new humans evolve and appear on the earth. The loneliness is too much for him but he can do nothing but exist and wait.

Nobody does metaphysical torture fiction like the post-war Japanese.

So anyway I found some capsule toys of the series, although at the time I had no idea what they were. I just knew I was in a Japanese grocery store and my impulse buy compulsion made me want to get something from their toy section. Fortunately I found a toy with a space squid/octopus thing so I picked it up. It comes with a two headed woman/man. And the picture on the box shows them holding hands.


I took them home, did some research and I still have no idea what chapter these characters are from, who they are, or what the heck is going on. I just like the visual of space cephalopod. 

1 comment: