Sunday, August 23, 2009

Silence of the Lambs

Originally posted at my old blog a year ago.


I went to a local comic book store and what did I find? The "Silence of the Lambs" Minimate set. Nice! So I picked that up.

I love the idea of "Silence of the Lambs" minimates. It's just such a random movie to license. I mean, hell, 24 is kinda geekish, but "Silence of the Lambs"? An Academy Award winning psychological crime thriller about cannibals and transexual serial killers making suits of human skin? The crossover possibilities are completely fricking insane.


Yeah it's got 4 figures, but the accessories really make this one a winner. I freaking love the handcart and straight jacket, which recreates a memorable scene in the movie but also means you can now turn any 2 inch minimate into a mental institution inmate. Works great for Arkham inmates.



I've pulled out the piece inside the straight jacket, it's just a generic blank torso with the arms removed. I'm a little disappointed that the handcart is made of soft plastic, which makes it a little difficult to create a firm fit with the minimate C3 feet. As for use with other figures, the face guard doesn't really work with any non-lecter figure (although it will loosely fit around the head of bald characters) and the infrared goggles don't really work with figures not using hair pieces.

The figures themselves are pretty nice. The 2 Hannibal Lecter figures and the Buffalo Bill figure both have their hair sculpted onto their heads, like the "Back to the Future" Doc Brown figure, so it's impossible to swap out their hair, but it certainly increases their likeness to the movie actors. I don't know if I needed 2 figures of Lecter, but I guess it makes sense considering he's the most iconic part of the movie. And really, Charles Napier's character of guard without a face would probably put some people off buying the set.

The Clarice figure is a more generic minimate, with removable hair and more plain look. It looks vaguely like Jodie Foster, but it's lacking the accuracy of the other figures. Her dress piece restrict leg movements too, so that's a tad disappointing.


But overall I'm really glad to have gotten these figures, if for no other reason than to say that I've got some "Silence of the Lambs" mini-figures. It amuses me to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment