Sunday, January 30, 2011

X-Force Cannonball & X-Force Shatterstar


I don't think I've ever read an entire issue of the 90's version of X-Force. It was essentially New Mutants XTREME!!! Maybe I read an issue if it was part of a crossover event, but I can't really recall that well. I got a sense of their characters through osmosis, and I remember this being how I always remember Canonball dressing, with aviator goggles he admitted not needing because his powers protected his eyes but he thought they looked cool. (Back in the day Xavier's school had a machine which would produce any costume you designed in a matter of minutes.)

Also, I read the current run of X-Factor and Shatterstar is in that. In the comic he's portrayed as bisexual, but in a dedicated homosexual relationship. So in many ways this is the first minimate portraying an openly homosexual character. I think. They've done some pretty insane minimates in the past.

Neither minimate is very impressive, and in fact in many ways they're seriously flawed. I have trouble getting Shatterstar's hair-piece to fit on his head, it's too small to slip on smoothly, or sometimes at all. As you can see from their legs, there are paint problems, and it's really difficult to keep them standing without placing some sort of support system in place.

You can see what I'm talking about with the Shatterstar's hair in this picture, which also feature's Canonball's alternate leg base.




But if there's one thing I've learned about the Toys R Us exclusives, if you don't pick them up when you get the chance then there's a very real possibility you'll kick yourself later. Besides, I wouldn't mind making a definitive X-force/New Mutants minimate line-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment