Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Panthro

I dig the new Thundercats cartoon on Cartoon Network, and I've been eyeing the toys from Bandai for a while now. About two months ago I finally picked up my first offering when I snagged the 3 3/4"-scale Panthro on clearance. To me, the choice was obvious--as the bulkiest character, Panthro comes with a good amount of heft that makes it the best deal in whatever scale he's produced in.

Yes, as many action figure reviewers have commented, the Thundercats line is very "toyish". Made from glossy, extremely durable plastic, Panthro displays basic paint apps and visible screws. He's meant to be a sturdy plaything for kids, not a pricey adult collectible. To me, that's a positive, for he's built with the intention of being fun to mess around with (which he is). He comes with two versions of his nunchuks, one unfurled and one sheathed with a plug poking out so it can be stored on his lower back. The extend weapon is made out of softer plastic, meaning the figure can hold both ends in its hands without damaging the accessory. The articulation is plentiful, but I feel the amount integrated into his arms and legs should have been switched. I have no need for both rotating shins and rotating hips, yet I instinctively want to turn his biceps time and again.

As the future of Cartoon Network's Thundercats is up in the air, retailers have been deep-discounting the Bandai line in recent months. Hopefully the extremely low prices will compel you to give a few figures a chance, as while Panthro may not have the most detailed or collector-friendly sculpt, he's still a solidly constructed and pretty enjoyable toy, with or without the markdowns.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah the T-Cats are super cheap right now ever where i go.

    ReplyDelete