Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen review

I saw Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen a few hours ago for Tuesday discount price (five dollars). Yeah, I knew what I was getting into when I went to go see it, but I saw it anyway. And god damn, was that a poor movie. Not the worst movie I've ever seen (and not really as bad as the now-classic Topless Robot review makes it out to be), but it's still no Citizen Kane. Or The Rock. Or Armaggedon, for that matter

I feel insulted when people deflect criticism about this movie based on the perception that it's coming from fanboys who are too nitpicky about changes from the source material, or from critics who should "turn off their brains", so to speak, and enjoy the fun. I mean, I'm a huge fan of Transformers, but I'm also a fan of good movies, and when I go watch a film, at the end of the day I expect to see a good movie. It's one thing to complain that characters don't match their G1 incarnations, or that there's lots of fighting with precious little deeper meaning. It's quite another to take objection to the fact that Michael Bay can't seem to keep track of how many characters he's supposed to have in a scene. But hey, why should Michael Bay give a damn about basic math when there's explosions to be made and long fetishizing shots of military hardware to track?

Oh, and I don't know about you, but to me the fact that a poster of the cover to The Smiths' Meat Is Murder album appeared in a scene set in the Witwicky family's kitchen of all things was the most hilarious aspect of the entire film.

No comments:

Post a Comment